Sunday 6 May 2012

ALMOND CORNMEAL CAKE

My mum ate a piece of Almond Cornmeal Cake somewhere and since then she had been asking me to make one.  I had no idea how a cornmeal cake looks like but she kept explaining to me that it is more or less similar to semolina cake.  My computer was dead and I couldn't even google that.  So I tried to draft a recipe based on my basic cake recipes.  Let's see how it turns!

Ingredients 
200 g cornmeal
120 g almond meal or finely ground almond
80 g self-raising (Sifted)
1 teaspoon baking powder
200 g sugar
200 g butter
4 medium-sized eggs
100-125 ml liquid milk
Vanilla essence

Method

1.  Cream butter and sugar for about 8-10 minutes until light and fluffy.  See Aeration Test to ensure proper creaming.

2.  Beat  in the eggs little by little until well combined.  If mixture curdles during the addition of eggs, stir in a tablespoon of sifted flour before adding the remaining eggs.

3.  Beat in the flour, almond meal and half of the cornmeal.  Stir in the vanilla essence and fold in the remaining cornmeal.  Lastly, stir in the milk.


5.  Pour the batter in a greased and lined baking tin.  I used a 20 cm diameter round cake pan.  Bake in a preheated oven at 190°C for 35-40 minutes.  Un-mould when warm.


I kept looking at the cake every five minutes while it was baking wondering how it would turn into.  But finally, when I un-moulded it, I realised it is just like other cakes.

The cake tasted better the next day.  There is a special crunch in the cake which makes it different from other cakes.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments will always be appreciated. Thank you.